Monday, June 1, 2020

WHAT HAVE WE BECOME


I mourn for a man I did not know

your family’s life

will never be the same


I mourn for a man I did not know

yet the whole world

knows your name



I mourn for a man I did not know

although you are not

the only one


I mourn for a man I did not know

will this “battle”

ever be won



I mourn for a man I did not know

and feel frustration anger

and sorrow


I mourn for a man I did not know

we all hope and pray

for a better tomorrow



I mourn for a man I did not know

will this NEVER END

the people said


I mourn for a man I did not know

only when prejudice and hatred


are dead

~~~~~~~~~~~~

George Perry Floyd Jr.
10-14-73 ~~~ 5-25-20





42 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

To quote Bob Dylan: When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
😿

Eastside Cats said...

We mourn for him too.
Excellent post.

pilch92 said...

That is a beautiful poem in his memory. So sad. That awful officer didn't even show any feeling as the man begged for his life. XO

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

Thank you for this poignant and heartfelt tribute.

Our country is in shambles and there is much to be healed from.

The Adventures of The Bell Fur Zoo said...

We mourn him as well. It's so sad and just breaks Mama's heart :'(

xoxo,
Matt & Matilda

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thank you for this poignant and beautiful post. You have said what I've felt in my heart. What bothered me was, even as he was dying, George Floyd was respectful, calling his killer SIR!

Pam and Teddy said...

This is just what MANY MANY people are feeling in their heart of hearts. But I could never have said it this well..........We pray for his family.

Hugs, Pam

Marg said...

Well said. Such a sad story.

Catscue Cat Mom said...

Beautiful post - thank you.

The Creative Cat said...

Yes. <3 <3 <3

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

This is a beautiful heartfelt post and says what all decent people think.
RIP George Perry Floyd.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That was a wonderful memorial for that dear man. It's all so very sad and unnecessary.

Tamago said...

Sad for everyone hurting .. :-(

The Island Cats said...

Sad times...we as a country need to do better.

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

Beautiful. We stand with you

Just Ducky said...

Very well written for these sad times. We all mourn for a man we did not know.

messymimi said...

My heart aches over hatred in all of its forms.

My Mind's Eye said...

Good morning to you my sweet furry friends and the FS Girl...
very well said
Hugs Cecilia

John Bellen said...

The cynicism of the way he was killed, the casualness of it, sickens me. There was complete apathy to his plight on the part of the police. The emptiness of a reason for his death borders on insanity. I try to understand all points of view, but I don't understand killing a man for no reason at all.

Dma said...

thank you.

The J-Cats said...

We mourn for him too - and we mourn for America.

Saku said...

How he died was horrific and so senseless. His death has created an opportunity for change for not only the U.S. but around the world. Thank you for this post, we mourn with you.

Sandra Cox said...

Thank you so much for this memoriam. May his death not have been in vain. We are in the middle of dark dystopian times. I trust by 2021 change will have come.

Zoolatry said...

And you are not alone in your mourning, thank you for words well said.

meowmeowmans said...

Powerful and so important. Thank you so much. We, too, are mourning so very deeply.

Me said...

Thank you-Bibi & Meep

Pat Hatt said...

Yeah, it is just awful that humans are still in such a state. Many need to wake up.

The Whiskeratti said...

It's just so sad. He was a human denied his humanity.

Hairballsandhissyfits.com said...

Beautifully said. Can't believe what is going on in the world right now!

Peachy, Faye, Granny and Angels Binky and Stippie said...

"When the Power of Love,
overcomes the Love of Power,
the world will know Peace."
This quote of Jimi Hendrix came to my mind while reading your heartfelt post, Tabbies😿Fly free beautiful Soul👼Soft Pawkisses to all of you🐾😽💞

Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat (Katherine Kern) said...

The situation is hard to fathom - though we all know it's not an isolated incident. To me, the situation is compounded by the EMS, fire, and police people who are lumped in with the actions of a few and treated like the enemy when many of them feel the same way about what happened as the rest of us. Hate is powerful and all-consuming and singling out one group of people for any reason is always dangerous and unfair.

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

that poem was incredible, did you write it? It should be published somewhere. What happened to George and to countless other African Americans through the years is just unfathomable. Sending lots of love.

Three Chatty Cats said...

Thank you for posting this. Beautiful. Powerful. I mourn for him and the countless others.

Mickey's Musings said...

We mourn for this man we did not know too.
Great post.

Cathy Keisha said...

Whoa! Thanks for this post! We mourn for him also. I am George Floyd and Eric Garner who died in NY cos of a choke hold half a decade ago. I can't breathe. *bows head*

Timmy Tomcat said...

That is such a great poem and very timely. Now if we can all move forward with peace and love his lesson will be learned. If not then in vain which would be awful

Sandra Cox said...

Hope your weekend is blessed.

Kitties Blue said...

Laura, this is so heartfelt and beautifully written. I feel totally lost lately, as if I am in some type of waking nightmare. Thank you for writing this. Who knows if life will ever be “normal again. XOCK, angel Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo, Cooper Murphy and Sawyer

Photo Cache said...

Things have got to change!

Emma and Buster

Deziz World said...

We luvs ya'll bunches. Sendin' hugs

Luvs ya'

Dezi and Raena

Fr. Tom Fish said...

You guys have put all our thoughts together so well. Sendin' purrs atcha! - Tom x

Robin said...

We mourn with you. What a horrible tragedy. I hope that some change comes and makes this world a better place for everyone.